Gummy bears are certainly one of the kids, and as well as the adults’ favorite sweet snacks. But did you know that making them is as much fun as eating them? Gummy bears are easy to make, and they can also be a great bonding activity for you and your kids. They are not much more than a whole lot of gelatin and some flavoring. Yes, it is that simple. You might have all the ingredients needed to be able to create some gummy bears.
The only thing that’s quite challenging about making homemade gummy bears is the mold. But you can easily purchase gummy bear molds in stores and even online. Or you can also use other improvised molds such as ice cube trays. You can also just pour the mixture onto a baking sheet and cut it with a pizza cutter once it has been set. And if you want to get more creative, you can make your custom molds using food-grade silicone.
If you’re interested in making your gummy bears, here are some of the different gummy bear recipes you can follow. And to know more about gummy bears, check out our blog on the history of gummy bears.
Basic Gummy Bear Recipe
View this post on Instagram
Let’s start with the most basic way of making gummy bears. All you need for this recipe are:
- 1/3 to a ½ cup of cold water
- 1 package of flavored gelatin
- 4 packets of unflavored gelatin
- Pour the cold water into a heatproof glass measuring cup. Then sprinkle the gelatin over the water while stirring with a rubber spatula. It will result in a super thick mass like clay, but you need to keep stirring. When you finish sprinkling all the gelatin, try to get all the dry bits off the side of the measuring cup and the spatula, then press onto the surface of the gelatin mass.
- After mixing the ingredients, cover the cup with plastic wrap and let it rest for 10 minutes. While waiting, fill a medium-sized saucepan with half-full water, then set it over medium heat, bringing the water to a simmer. Remove the plastic wrap from the cup, then place the cup in the water. Wait for the gelatin mass to melt while stirring gently and occasionally. Once the mixture becomes clear, turn off the heat and let it rest for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour the hot mixture from the measuring cup into the bear molds carefully. When the syrup gets too thick, you can reheat it a bit. If the mixture in the molds contracts a fair bit as they cool, top them off with a second layer of gelatin mixture. Once the entire mold is filled, place it in the freezer for 10 minutes, then in the refrigerator for another 5 to 10 minutes. Lastly, peel them out of the molds and enjoy your very own gummy bears!
Gummy Bear Recipe Using Jell-O
This recipe is also similar to the basic one, but the difference is aside from gelatin, you will also be adding a package of Jell-O. The great thing about this recipe is that there’s no need for you to worry about making the gummy bears sweet. Here are the things needed:
- 1 pack of Jell-O (85g or 3 oz. size)
- 1 tablespoon of gelatin
- ½ cup of water
- Gummy bear molds
- Pour the ½ cup of water into a saucepan and set it on low heat.
- Add one pack of Jell-O, then add 1 tablespoon of gelatin.
- Mix them until all of the ingredients are dissolved. After that, remove the mixture from heat.
- Using a dropper, put the mixture into the bear mold. Try to avoid getting bubbles in the dropper when placing the mixture in the mold.
- Once the mold is full, place it in the fridge for 30 minutes or until the bears solidify.
- Once all the gummy bears are solidified, take them out of the fridge and pop them out of the mold. And you can now enjoy your Jell-O gummy bears.
Gummy Bear Recipe with Fruit Juice and Honey
This is a healthier version of homemade gummy bears because you will be using fresh or organic fruit juice and honey for sweeteners. Here are the things needed:
- 1 cup of organic cold juice (you can have different juices for each color)
- 1/3 cup of vital Proteins beef gelatin
- 2 TB lemon juice
- ½ raw cup honey
- Gummy bear molds and a dropper
- Put the cold juice into a saucepan. Then add the 1/3 cup of gelatin. Let it sit for one to two minutes for the gelatin to bloom, preventing a clumpy or gritty gummy bear.
- After that, turn on the heat to low-medium until the gelatin dissolves.
- Once the gelatin is dissolved, turn off the heat and let it sit for a few minutes to cool down.
- Then, add the lemon juice and raw honey and stir them well.
- Using a dropper or a syringe, suck up the juice concoction and put them into the gummy bear mold.
- After putting the mixture into the mold, let it sit for 5 minutes for them to set, then place it in the fridge for an hour. Once the bears become solid, remove the mold from the fridge, remove the bears, and enjoy!
Vegan Gummy Bears with Agar
If you’re a vegan, you can still enjoy the sweet treats by making vegan gummy bears using agar. Here are the things you need:
- 1 cup of fruit juice
- 2 tablespoons of agar powder
- (optional) 1 to 2 tablespoons of sweetener (honey, cane sugar, or agave nectar)
- Whish the fruit juice and agar together in a small saucepan. Then let the mixture sit for 5 minutes before heating.
- While still whisking the mixture frequently, heat it over medium heat. Once it becomes thicker, add the sweetener if you will be using one and then stir. Let it simmer for a few minutes until it becomes thick to the consistency of paint while stirring constantly.
- When the mixture is thick enough, move it into a measuring cup with a spout and pour it into the molds.
- Let the filled molds cool at room temperature for 5 minutes, then place them in the freezer for 20 to 30 minutes. Once they become solid, pop them out of the molds and enjoy!
- These are some of the different ways on how you can make your gummy bears. With these recipes, you can make your gummy bears tastier, more colorful, and aside from that, you will have loads of fun making them.
Gummy Bear – Self-Stable Recipe
- 27 grams (3 tablespoons) sorbitol
- 170 grams (6 ounces) chilled water fruit juice
- Two teaspoons citric acid
- 227 grams (8 ounces) granulated sugar
- 227 grams (8 ounces) corn syrup glucose (you can also use golden syrup or honey)
- Six packets (44 grams) of KNOX gelatin
- 1 ½ teaspoon candy flavoring (the ones used in this recipe are tropical, strawberry, and raspberry punch)
- Gummy bear molds
- Food scale
- Take a heatproof container and combine flavored liquid or water and gelatin. Combine the ingredients by stirring gently and leave for five minutes, and it will give gelatin time to bloom. Take a medium saucepan and combine sorbitol, sugar, and corn syrup. Stir all these ingredients gently to combine and bring them to simmer over medium to high heat.
- Once you are done with simmering, make sure that all the stray grains of sugar are dissolved fully. And for that, take a clean pastry brush and wash down the sides of the saucepan with water. Now, take a gelatin mixture and citric acid and stir it with a spatula in the already prepared mixture, but first, remove the mixture from the heat.
- Keep stirring until gelatin gets melted. Now, leave the mixture for ten minutes and let it sit until it clears and foams to collect at the top. After that, it should not be hard to scoop the foam off the surface with a spoon. It is time to divide and strain the mixture into three bowls. Add candy flavorings or any coloring you want.
- Grab gummy bear molds, spray them lightly with some oil, and clean out the excess. Pour the mixture you have prepared into these gummy bear molds. Let them chill until gummy bears are set (around six hours). However, 24 hours is ideal. Once you set gummy bears, you can store them at room temperature.
Everyone loves gummy bears, especially bodybuilders because they are sweetened with corn syrup and dextrose – both are fast-absorbing carbs. Once you know how to make your own gummy bears at home, you will never buy them from any store. And on top of everything, making your own gummy bears is quite easy and doesn’t require any complex process to follow.
In addition to gummy bears, you can also make homemade jelly beans that taste delicious as well.