Gummy bears are certainly one of the kids, and as well as the adults’ favorite sweet snacks. But did you know that making them is as much fun as eating them? Gummy bears are easy to make and it can also be a great bonding activity for you and your kids. They are not much more than a whole lot of gelatin and some flavoring. Yes, it is that simple. In fact, you might have all the ingredients needed to be able to create some gummy bears.
The only thing that’s quite challenging about making homemade gummy bears is the mold. But you can easily purchase gummy bear molds in stores and even online. Or you can also use other improvised molds such as ice cube trays. You can also just pour the mixture onto a baking sheet and cut it with a pizza cutter once it has set. And if you want to get more creative, you can make your own custom molds using food-grade silicone.
If you’re interested in making your own gummy bears, here are some of the different gummy bear recipes you can follow.
Basic Gummy Bear Recipe
Let’s start with the most basic way of making gummy bears. All you need for this recipe are:
- 1/3 to ½ cup of cold water
- 1 package of flavored gelatin
- 4 packets of unflavored gelatin
1. Pour the cold water into a heatproof glass measuring cup. Then sprinkle the gelatin over the water while stirring with a rubber spatula. It will result in a super thick mass like clay but you need to keep stirring. When you finish sprinkling all the gelatin, try to get all the dry bits off the side of the measuring cup and off the spatula then press onto the surface of the gelatin mass.
2. After mixing the ingredients, cover the cup with plastic wrap and let it rest for 10 minutes. While waiting, fill a medium-sized saucepan with half full water then set it over medium heat, bringing the water to a simmer. Remove the plastic wrap from the cup then place the cup in the water. Wait for the gelatin mass to melt while stirring gently and occasionally. Once the mixture becomes clear, turn of the heat and let it rest for 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Pour the hot mixture from the measuring cup into the bear molds carefully. When the syrup gets too thick, you can reheat it a bit. If the mixture in the molds contract a fair bit as they cool, top them off with a second layer of gelatin mixture. Once the entire mold is filled, place it in the freezer for 10 minutes then in the refrigerator for another 5 to 10 minutes. Lastly, peel them out of the molds and enjoy your very own gummy bears!
Gummy Bear Recipe Using Jell-O
This recipe is also similar to the basic one but the difference is aside from gelatin, you will also be adding a package of Jell-O. The great thing about this recipe is that there’s no need for you to worry about how to make the gummy bears sweet. Here are the things needed:
- 1 pack of Jell-O (85g or 3 oz. size)
- 1 tablespoon of gelatin
- ½ cup of water
- Gummy bear molds
1. Pour the ½ cup of water into a sauce pan and set it on low heat
2. Add one pack of Jell-O, then add 1 tablespoon of gelatin.
3. Mix them together until all of the ingredients are dissolved. After that, remove the mixture from heat.
4. Using a dropper, put the mixture into the bear mold. Try to avoid getting bubbles in the dropper when placing the mixture in the mold.
5. Once the mold is full, place it in the fridge for 30 minutes or until the bears solidify.
6. One all the gummy bears are solidified, take them out of the fridge and pop them out of the mold. And you can now enjoy your Jell-O gummy bears.
Gummy Bear Recipe with Fruit Juice and Honey
This is a healthier version of homemade gummy bears because you will be using fresh or organic fruit juice and honey for sweetener. Here are the things needed:
- 1 cup of organic cold juice (you can have different juices for each color)
- 1/3 cup of Vital Proteins beef gelatin
- 2 TB lemon juice
- ½ raw cup honey
- Gummy bear molds and a dropper
1. Put the cold juice into a saucepan. Then add the 1/3 cup of gelatin. Let it sit for one to two minutes for the gelatin to bloom, preventing a clumpy or gritty gummy bear.
2. After that, turn on the heat to low-medium until the gelatin dissolves.
3. Once the gelatin is dissolved, turn off the heat and let it sit for a few minutes to cool down.
4. Then, add the lemon juice and raw honey and stir them well.
5. Using a dropper or a syringe, suck up the juice concoction and put them into the gummy bear mold.
6. After putting the mixture into the mold, let it sit for 5 minutes for them to set, then place it in the fridge for an hour. Once the bears become solid, remove the mold from the fridge, remove the bears, and enjoy!
Vegan Gummy Bears with Agar
If you’re a vegan, you can still enjoy the sweet treats by making vegan gummy bears using agar. Here are the things you need:
- 1 cup of fruit juice
- 2 tablespoons of agar powder
- (optional) 1 to 2 tablespoons of sweetener (honey, cane sugar, or agave nectar)
1. Whish the fruit juice and agar together in a small saucepan. Then let the mixture sit for 5 minutes before heating.
2. While still whisking the mixture frequently, heat it over medium heat. Once it becomes thicker, add the sweetener if you will be using one and then stir. Let it simmer for a few minutes until it becomes thick to the consistency of paint while stirring constantly.
3. When the mixture is thick enough, move it into a measuring cup with a spout them begin pouring it into the molds.
4. Let the filled molds cool at room temperature for 5 minutes then place them in the freezer for 20 to 30 minutes. Once they become solid, pop them out of the molds and enjoy!
These are some of the different ways on how you can make your own gummy bears. With these recipes, you can make your gummy bears tastier, more colorful, and aside from that, you will definitely have loads of fun making them.