When we hear the word syrup, most people might imagine a stack of pancakes drizzled with maple syrup. But maple syrup is just one of the many types of syrup in the world. There are syrups that are used as food toppings, while some are used as sweeteners for cocktails, baking, and as well as in cooking. It is a condiment that is thickand usually consists of a solution of sugar in water.
When trying to make drinks or foods sweeter, most of us tend to add sugar or squeeze honey directly to a drink or food. Though effective, they sometimes do not dissolve well. Therefore, to maximize the mixing potential of these sweeteners, you need to ideally dissolve them into syrup form. That will also give you endless flavoring options.
If you are wondering about what types of syrups are available, we are happy to help you. Today, we are giving you a list of the different types of syrup that you might find useful.
The Basic Syrups
- Simple Syrup: This type of syrup is made from a mixture of granulated sugar and water that is heated until the sugar crystals dissolve. Aside from heating, you can also simply put the mixture in a jar and shake it vigorously. Simple syrup can be used in sweetening cocktails, iced coffee, and tea.
- Rich Simple Syrup: This type of syrup is sweeter compared to simple syrup as it doubles the amount of sugar. It has a ratio of 2:1 of granulated sugar to water.
- Brown Sugar Syrup: This type of syrup can add a molasses-like richness to cocktails. It can also be used as a sweetener for desserts and dips.
- Honey Syrup:This is a naturally-made syrup that is created in beehives. Honey can have different flavors, depending on the flowers from which they are made. It is used in many parts of the world as a sweetener for baked goods, and as well as for beverages.
- Agave Syrup: This type of syrup shouldn’t be confused with agave nectar. It’s because the nectar is the agave-based sweetener in its concentrated form right from the bottle. The syrup, on the other hand, dilutes the nectar, making it a cocktail-friendly sweetener.
- Demerara Syrup: This type of syrup swaps in golden-hued demerara with sugar, resulting in a deeper, and almost caramel-like flavor. This syrup is usually used in tropical drinks.
- Inverted Sugar Syrup: This type of syrup is an edible mixture of two simple sugars, which are glucose and fructose. It is made by heating table sugar or sucrose with water.
- Maple Syrup: This type of syrup is popularly used as a topping for pancakes and waffles, and as a sweetener for oatmeal.It is made by boiling down the sap of a maple tree until it becomes thick and sweet.
- Corn Syrup: Corn syrup is a sweetener that is made from corn starch. You can find this as an ingredient in almost all the items in your kitchen, including soft drinks, ice cream, ketchup, and other commercially made food products. It is also used in baking to make cakes moister and have a better texture. It is an economical kind of syrup because it won’t crystallize. Meaning, it has a long shelf life.
- Chocolate Syrup:Chocolate syrup is created by mixing cocoa powder, corn syrup, and flavorings. It is a versatile topping that is used on cakes, ice creams, milk, and many other desserts. Without this syrup, we won’t be able to enjoy chocolate sundaes.
- Fruit Syrup: This type of syrup is made from concentrated fruit juices. It is usually used as a sweetener for baking and cooking. It can also be used as a topping on certain desserts.
- Cherry Smash:This is a fountain syrup that is made from cherry syrup together with a blend of other fruit flavors that soda jerks mixed with phosphate and carbonated water.
- Cider Syrup: This type of syrup is also known as apple molasses. It is a kind of fruity syrup.
- Grape Syrup: This type of syrup is basically a condiment that is made using concentrated grape juice.
- Rose Syrup: This type of syrup is made from rose water that is added with sugar.
- Almond Syrup: This syrup can add a nutty and lactic-like sweetness to drinks and foods.
- Acetomel: This is a type of syrup that is made from vinegar and honey. It has a sweet and sour taste.
- Birch Syrup: This type of syrup is made from the sap of birch trees, and is produced the same way as maple syrup. It has a savory mineral flavor.
- Brown Rice Syrup: This one is a sweetener that is rich in compounds. It is categorized as sugars and is obtained by culturing cooked rice starch.
- Cheong: This is the term for different sweetened foods in Korea in the form of syrups, fruit preserves, and marmalades.
- Falernum: This is a syrup liqueur that originated from the Caribbean. It is popularly used in tropical drinks.
- Grenadine: This syrup is a commonly used non-alcoholic bar syrup. It has a tart and sweet flavor and deep red color.
- Orgeat Syrup: This type of syrup is made from almonds, rose water or orange flower water, and sugar.
- Steen’s Cane Syrup: This is a traditional sweetener in America. It is made by the concentration of cane juice by cooking it for a long period in open kettles.
- Dijon Syrup: This type of syrup is infused with mustard and sweet paprika. It is best used to add an unexpected layer of complexity to corn whiskey cocktails.
- Mint Syrup:This is a very refreshing type of syrup that is made from mint leaves. You can splash it in everything, including iced tea and cocktails.
- Golden Syrup: This type of syrup is a form of inverted sugar syrup that is thick amber-colored. It is made by refining sugar cane or sugar beet juice into sugar. Aside from that, it can also be made by treating a sugar solution with acid.
- Vincotto: This syrup is produced from a blend of cooked grape must and of a wine that has started to spoil and sour. It has the consistency of dense non-alcoholic syrup. The method used in making this syrup goes back to the ancient Romans’ time.
These are the different types of syrup we can share. There are many other types of syrups you can discover out there. In fact, you can make your very own syrup at home by adding different flavors to a mixture of sugar and water. This way, you will be able to incorporate more unique flavors to the dishes and snacks that you like to prepare.